What I See : in a shoot

We left Cochin around 11.30pm, it was a Tavera filled with so called production people including a photographer and me, don’t ask why me? Even I don’t know why I went with them, the journey started as usual with searching for Mineral water bottles, as the shops close around 10.00pm, we managed to get few bottles after 20kms of travel, I got a seat on the second row on the right hand side, just behind the driver. The other seat was occupied by my big luggage, I could hear the murmuring of those two guys commenting about my luggage, I clearly heard them saying “is this guy running away from home” such a big box..Gosh!!!
To make the mood lighter I gently asked those guys whether they were comfortable, they suddenly said ,”yes sir, no problem” (the famous word in Malayalam “Kuzhappamilla”), the journey was comfortable for every one when ever the vehicle stopped, rest of the time it was tedious. I started counting the sheep and dozed off. The drivers who came against our car had good control over their vehicle , due to that we reached our destination smoothly and safely.
30 Km before reaching Veloor, in Tamil Nadu, I saw a sign board showing the distance to Kuppam, which is one of the borders of Andrapradesh and TN. That place is quite famous because I was born there. I had a bad urge to see the place once again. But “The photo man” took control of the navigation and said we will get down at “Darling” at Vellor. The name sounds good …..Darling, its one among the good Hotels in Vellor, we rushed in and freshend up and had one sambar rice, the traditional TN food, and dashed to “ORIKAI VILLAGE” which is again 100km away from Vellor.

We decided to have the location hunt on that day itself. Mr. Kurukal who handles almost all the languages, navigated us to “Orikai village”. The journey was fun filled and colorful. There were stretches of plain land, big banyan trees, huge temples, Security God’s, Cows to Pigs we managed to reach the location in good time. When our vehicle entered the village I could see one small boy running behind our vehicle, with in few seconds he multiplied in to 10, could see people slowly peeping out of their windows and front doors. I gently opened the car window, Goshhhh! Was it so hot out side, as our Tavera’s A/c was on full blast,we never realized that its so hot. Mr. Kurukal got out of the car, with his 3/4th trousers, cap and his French beard, and scanned the area before we got out of the car.
By that time the news had spread that a shooting party has arrived, people where putting their nose inside the vehicle to know who has come, unfortunately they could see only 2 stars inside one is me and another “the photo man”.
I could hear some one telling, these guys are production people, the star will come only later, by that time they will fix the lights and camera, wow! Such educated villagers, cool! I noticed some one away from the crowd, who was not at all bothered or excited by the commotion around him, I called up one kid and enquired about him. The kid said he is “pachai appan” and we call him “pachai” . That’s good, there is some one at least in this village who is not attracted by film people or any camera or stars….good I marked him in my mind, we had some discussion with the villagers and told them we will come next day for the shot. That area seems to be the place where silk threads are being starched. We planned to reach the place by 6.00am next day and capture the Starching of silks up to 9.00am, after 9.00am they will move to weaving. We waved good bye and got in to the car, I could see Pachai staring at us with disdain.
That night was too long, lots of things to be done, … during my travel I really miss my Farming in Farm Ville in Face Book. The entire night my mind was thinking about Pachai ,why did he behave like that? Why isn’t he excited like the others? I was curious to see him the next day too. Finally managed to sleep around 12.30 with lots of lovely thoughts, etc

Wow! what a sight!, the village was hectic with starching activity, I could see all the colours, its some thing like Holy with silks. I searched for Pachia, he was busy guarding a cow, I thought I will go and meet him after fixing every thing. The shoot was on by 6.20am, the villagers took up the scene and they started directing the show. We stood by which helped us in getting many mind blowing pictures. Our “photo man” took pictures of all the kids, which made them all the more excited and screaming, But pachai was not happy with all this.. I managed to get few pictures of pachai but he moved away from the camera. I don’t know why.

We decided to organize a bullock cart and to put some colorfull silk threads with few people sitting on it. Mr. Kurukal got into action and arranged for a Bullock cart with 2 white bulls and arranged the silk threads in different colours. I could see Pachai looking at us in a very sarcastic manner. I could hear his thought “what stupid people!” running behind a camera, and he was not at all giving his attention to us.

It was too hot out there, I would have already drunk 5 tender coconut, and few bottles of Bislery (which ever water comes in bottle is called as Bislery), I noticed pachai standing under the banyan tree with few of his friends, he is not at all comfortable with the hot sun, so he settled down under the tree. suddenly a car rushed to the area, yes here comes the model!, she is not a star, may be a first timer in front of the camera. I could see Mr. Kurukal running towards her with an umbrella as he didn’t want her make-up spoiled due to sweat. The entire villagers rushed for a glimpse of the model .I could hear their comments….some says ,she is a star from Malayalam movie, some one else says , she is a TV serial artist etc etc…
pachai is getting angry because the car in which the model came parked under the tree, where pachai was relaxing with his friends, and he decided to move out.

When the entire village was hectic with the shoot, when the entire villagers were so excited, arranging things for us, treating us so well…… why the hell was this pachai moving away from us ? I was damn curious? I couldn’t stand any longer, I decided to confront him and ask him point blank. I strolled to him gently from behind….. but before I could ask him my question ……he suddenly turned around…… barked at me angrily…….growled with his fangs jutting out……. and ran away with his pack!!!!



Is it true that he is more sensible than the others?
or Was he trying to teach us “don’t interfere in others work”
or Was he trying to communicate that he is busy with his work ?
or was he trying to say”what’s the big deal?”


What ever, I could see only one person in that whole area who was not at all bothered by what’s happening around him or not at all carried away by the “glamorous world”! And that was Pachai! I admire Pachai for that. Hope I would be able to spot him during my next visit and treat him with a packet of “pedigree”.

Comments

Prabha said…
A good one Raj. Now this is to be posted on the comments section of the blog, so the critical analysis will be done later ;) whatsay!

Popular Posts