Maternity ?
its the social and legal acknowledgment of the parental relationship between a mother and her child

Most people know that a pregnancy consists of the first, second and third trimester. The definition of a trimester is “A period or term of three months” so on an average there are actually 4.33 weeks in months so its considered as 10months pregnancy Who said only women under go Maternity Pain?


Don’t start doubting whether this guy is pregnant, it’s a personal experience. But before I write let me request you to drink at least 8 glasses of water every day ,if you are male or female its doesn’t matter.


My one and only loving wife is now traveling in her 23rd week of pregnancy, the regular high Blood Pressure started hitting her from the first trimester itself, followed by the usual back pain.
Last night around 12.30am she woke me up, she was totally down with her back pain, she was not able to lie, sit or stand, I could see her jumping and walking friskily crying loud as she was not able to tolerate the pain ( I wonder what the human psychology or physiology …whatever is? All pains seems to start only after midnight!). I tried out all ideas from hot water bag, to paracetamol. At 2:00am we decided to go to the hospital. i managed to bring her down from the apartment and put her in the car and rushed towards the hospital. All of a sudden a cop showed his hand and asked me to stop the car. I opened the car window .he suddenly put his head in to the car and I could see him sniffing, his nose almost hitting my mouth…. the traditional way of finding out drunk n drive. I explained to him the situation and he let me pass. we reached the hospital around 2.30 am, I could see the sleeping security and also the nurses of the casualty ward, seeing us they pulled the wheel chair and rushed her to the casualty room. I wondered whether they knew what to do, they never asked me about the problem. i didn’t want them to do caesarian on the 23rd week itself, so I rushed inside and told them its back pain and not maternity pain. Listening halfheartedly they asked me to remit the fee in the counter.


She was taken into the Surgery Labour room, I waited outside, I could hear her wailing in pain. The yawning half asleep doctor examined her , said something to the nurse and went back to sleep on an adjacent bed. She was put on a drip . She called out to the nurse that she cannot lie down coz of the pain, the answer was she had to. So she managed the drip sitting and standing… with no assistance from the nurse. (This made me wonder What are the qualities that make a good nurse? I found from the Net that To become a good nurse, a person should have the qualities such as passion, interpersonal skill, presence of mind and commitment. Kindness and empathy are the qualities that every nurse should possess. The nurse should be calm and kind to the patients, The nurse should understand the pains and suffering of patients. He/she should provide comfort and sympathy to the patients, instead of getting angry with them.).


Do we have such nurses in our hospitals? If anyone knows do let me know. I will make it a point that my wife is admitted in that hospital for her delivery.)


After around 40 min, suddenly the door opened and my wife came running to me saying that she can’t tolerate the pain anymore. The doctor on duty is sleeping soundly and the nurse after giving her the injection, felt her duty over and was immersed in her work(reading something). Although my wife kept complaining that the pain isn’t subsiding , the nurse just said it will take time. My wife was beyond control and crying helplessly. She sat with me outside the labour room , lying on my shoulders and I tried to massage her and comfort her as far as I could. After about 20 min the nurse realized that the patient isn’t in bed and came to enquire. I told her my wife is in severe pain, the nurse had the same reply. My wife didn’t want to go back to the labour room, she was far more comfortable with me outside.( I wonder why come to the hospital at night if this is the “treatment” given ) After sometime I cajoled her to go in, I too went along with her, sat beside her and massaged her back for a while and went outside to wait.. I was sitting on the steps as there were no chairs available for bystanders outside the labour room. The number of patients increased so did the bystanders, every one tried to get a seat on the steps which leads to the other floors. if you have traveled in an unreserved compartment of a jam -packed train, then you can easily visualize the scene .As the time passed the number rose from 3 to 60 with in an hour, and by 9.00am the number of bystanders went up to 80plus.


I started getting my labour pain after sitting for so long, you may ask why I sat there. The practice of the hospital is that they will call you every one hour and ask you to buy some medicines for the patient, and you should buy only from the hospital dispensary which is on the 5th floor. The hospital which accommodates around 300 patients at a time has very beautifully maintained lift which can carry 5 people at a time. You can see long queue in front of the lift on every floor. After climbing 5 floors for more than 5 times in few hours and sitting on the steps for 5 hours, I started feeling like I am on my 5th month of pregnancy. The area had already stated stinking due to too many people gathered in one single corridor where there is no proper ventilation, I even felt collecting Rs 10 per head and hire a fan . Well known hospital in heart of Cochin, I can’t believe this!.

At about 7:00 am another doctor ( Day time ! she was fresh and not yawning )arrived who gave her yet another dose of injection which provided her some relief. She ordered a scan and urine culture. The lab opens only at 9:00 am . When I saw her next, she was being pushed in a wheel chair, almost half fainted with pain. With in 20 mins they diagnosed it was Kidney stone. The nephrologist examined her and gave her medicine specifically for her ailment….and then after nearly 10 hrs of enduring pain, she slept soundly for 4 hrs. I was really moved to tears seeing her sleep ……the pain she had endured… that too with a bulging tummy…….


Now I am worried about her delivery which is hardly 4 months away. In Kerala husbands aren’t allowed in to the labour room…..If its at night…Oh my god! History is gonna repeat itself…..I tell her please ask the baby to come out during day time…please…



Oooooohhhh … I started getting labour pains….

Comments

Agn! Sharman said…
Felt bad reading the state of plight you guys were in ...

Howz she now?

Popular Posts