Janamaithri Police Station, Kochi


A visit to “Janamaithri Police Station”

Today got a chance to visit “Janamaithri Police Station” at Kadavanthara, though it’s not for any offence, it was just to file a complaint against the loss of my daughter’s certificates.

Parked the car in front of the station and slowly walked in, see my heart started beating loud for no reason, may be all the news what we see every day makes my heart to beat little loud. I controlled my heart saying “hey I am not a culprit or a murder” be calm.
Walked in to the station and saw an officer sitting in the reception, writing something very serious , could see a junior officer standing behind him. On seeing me the junior jumped towards me, his intention was to serve me but my stupid heart never understood things so fast. He said “good morning”.
What ? a good morning from a police officer ? I wished him in my terrified feeble voice “good morning sir” hearing my voice the senior officer lifted his head and looked at me and extended his hand to get the complaint letter from me. After reading the letter he wrote something and asked the junior to do the needful. I wished the senior officer and accompanied the junior officer
.

He took me to the guestroom at the entrance of the police station and made me seated and said you have to wait for few minutes as the concerned officer will be arriving in 10 minutes. Now my heart is
little relaxed, seeing the positive and helping nature of police officers.  Its 9.15am. I could see police officers entering to report for duty, there were around 20 police officers who came in the span of next 15 minutes and the best part is every officer who entered the station first wished me then went straight to the senior officer and saluted him and came back with a pleasant smile. My stupid brain, which always confuses me put a new thought to my heart. Why all officers wished me as if I am known to them ? Am I that popular ? Do I resemble some one ? I just managed to look my face in the window glasses, no I am what I am, I realized. 

Suddenly an officer came to me and said, why the fan is not on ?  It’s too hot inside ,  he pulled a chair and sat in front of me with the day’s newspaper, he started speaking to me  about the present weather condition of Kochi, I simply nodded my head according to his statements. I have been so close to police only when they come near to my car and  showing the breath analyzer to our mouth and ask us to blow in it to find out if the driver is drunk.  Before the breath analyzer became popular they put their head into the car and sniff on your mouth to find if you are drunk. Thanks to the invention of the breath analyzer.

I never knew that 9.30am is the time when all the officers assemble in the police station. I can see few people walking in with complaints and for many other reasons, each person is greeted warmly and
addressed personally by officers. I can’t believe the changes in an Indian police station.  Suddenly another senior officer popped up and shook hands with me and asked why I am waiting, I explained about the loss of certificate and waiting to get a FIR copy . He took me inside to the writer’s room. The writer is the person who takes care of all paper works in the station.  On seeing the senior officer the writer jumped and saluted him, he just enquired about my complaint in no seconds I got a signed copy of FIR that too a computer printed sheet. Earlier I remember getting written ones which no one can understand what’s written in it.  On getting it I thanked the officer and walked briskly out of the police station. I just want to get out of the place thought everyone was friendly.

Getting into the car, suddenly I thought I did’t thank the senior officer whom I met first, got out of the
car and went straight to his cabin and thanked him, he smiled at me and offered me a seat, he simply enquired about me and what I do for living.  I offered my business card, on seeing it he bursted out laughing and said “have seen many smugglers but no one had offered him a business card” . My business card says “smuggling” smuggling ideas for living.  He had seen all the creative I have worked for he had even noticed the latest creative in Vanitha magazine.


A good experience and happy to see a police station which is so friendly, only thing what I noticed and suggest is all the police officers should give English training , I found a police officer struggling to communicate to a foreign couple but he managed to communicate with the limited English knowledge.




Comments

Popular Posts